On this auspicious and eventful day, while humbly dedicating ourselves for the continued services to the community and the larger human brotherhood, it will not be out of place to do a bit retrospection and more of introspection. We do this with pardonable pride and a sense of fulfillment.
This institution had first come into existence in the form of Bajana Mandir in the year 1934 with the objective of spreading of the Divine Message of Shri Narayana Guruswamy, the ever great sage and revolutionary social and religious Reformer. This institution gradually grew in it’s spheres of activities to cater to the social, educational, economic and religious needs of the Billawa Community in particular, and the Backward class in general. In course of tie the Samithi extended it’s programme in all directions and a larger section of the community started taking interest in its activities. Meanwhile, when Shri Gurupraada Swamy, the choice disciple of Narayana Guru, was proceedings towards Udupi during his visit to South Kanara District in year 1941, suddenly stopped at Katapady on the road near the Seva Samithi premises and paused meditatingly for a new minutes and pointing out to the place prophesied: “This place will become a holy and religious centre in the future”. At this stage the dedicated men at the helm of samithi’s affairs underlined the urgency of one more temple being built for the Billavas besides the one already built at Kudroli Mangalore, Unexpected and instinctively, encouragement and support came from the Barkur Billava Charity Sangha at Bombay. This Sanha helped the Samithi to buy a plot of land preferred and prophesied by His Holiness Shree Shree Swami Guruprasad, at Katapady. The corner stone of the proposed temple was laid on 14th March 1943. From then started the great hunt for money to complete the construction of the temple. Individual donations poured in various forms to procure the paraphernalias for the temple. The temple slowly but surely took shape due to the steadfast patronage of individuals and institutions.
Fortunately enough, we had a devoted, dedicated band of workers. We had the blessings of the Guru in profusion. The community trusted us and encouraged us in our onward march. Well-intentioned and generous members of other communities also encouraged and helped us and continuously cooperated with us. Ultimately on 16-02-1964 Shivagiri Matadhipathi, Shri Shankarananda Swami had solemnized the “PRATHISTA” ceremony of Sri “vishwanatha Kshethra” and since then it has been the religious and social centre for the Billawas of the northern part of the district. ‘Prathista Mahothsava’ was performed under able leadership and guidance of late Sri. K.M. Suvarna who was the then President of the Samithi. For the success of Prathista ceremony of our hearts are heavy because several of them are not here to witness the accomplishment of the saga of their sacrifice. These five decades have seen a tremendous upsurge in the community. It has raced, with credit, with other major communities to derive advantages of science, technology and progress. We feel that our contribution to the enlightenment and advancement of the society is more significant because, we followed in the footsteps of the Guru, and we devotedly and dedicatedly translated His message of love and equality, into reality. Today this centre has assumed a personality and we are confident that this centre would remain one of the fountain heads for the Billawa fraternity, in years to come.